A Government Delegation from Nepal Visits Waste Concern’s Compost Facilities
December 12 to 14, 2010
A 8 (eight) member delegation from the Government of Nepal visited Waste Concern’s two compost facilities in Bulta and Katchpur during December 12 to 14, 2010. The team was headed by Mr. Reshmi Raj Pandey, Joint Secretary of the Ministry of Local Development. Mr.Purusottam Man Shrestha, National Project Manager of Public-Private Partnerships for Urban Environment (PPPUE) of UNDP was also in the delegation. The major objective this visit by the Nepali delegation was to get first-hand experience of waste management, source segregation of waste and composting linked with carbon trading.
December 12, 2010:
The delegation members were welcomed in Waste Concern’s head office at Banani, Dhaka during the first half of the day. Co-founders of Waste Concern, Mr. A. H. Md. Maqsood Sinha and Mr. Iftekhar Enayetullah gave an introductory presentation about the overall situation of waste management in Bangladesh and also briefed them about Waste Concern’s approach converting waste into resource using carbon trading. The delegation was later taken to Waste Concern’s 130 tons/day capacity compost plant located at Bulta, Roopganj, Greater Dhaka. After initial briefing, the Mr. Sharifur Rahman, General Manager showed them around the facility. The delegation also visited Regional Training Center (RTC) having a 7-10 per day capacity compost plant located at Katchpur, Narayanganj.
December 13, 2010:
On the second day morning, the delegation met the senior officials of the Department of Environment(DoE) of the Government of Bangladesh.During the second half they visited Square Hospital at Panthapath, Dhaka to experience how bio-medical waste is managed within a health care facility.
December 14, 2010:
The delegation visited a bio-medical waste treatment facility located near the dumpsite at Matuail, Dhaka. Mr. Sharifur Rahman, General Manager showed them around the facility.
List of the delegation members are shown below:
1. Mr.Reshmi Raj Pandey,Joint Secretary, Ministry of Local Development
2. Mr.Binod Prakash Singh, Under Secretary, Ministry of Local Development
3. Mr.Purusottam Man Shrestha, National Project Manager, PPPUE
4. Mr.Ram Lal Shrestha, Executive Officer, Nepalgunj Municipality
5. Mr.Gyatri Raman Ghimire, PPP Focal Point, Dhulikhel Municipality
6. Mr.Shailendra Shrestha, PPP Focal Point, Siddarthanagar Municipality
7. Mr.Ananta Korala, PPP Focal Point, Pokhara Sub-Metropolitan city
8. Mr.Tika Ram Kandel, PPP Focal Point, Bharatpur Muncipality