Regional Workshop on Enhancing Urban Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy in Asia and the Pacific in the United Nations Conference Centre (UNCC) organized by ESCAP
Bangkok, Thailand from 19-20 March 2018
Waste Concern has participated in the Regional Workshop on Enhancing Urban Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy in Asia and the Pacific in the United Nations Conference Centre (UNCC) organized by ESCAP in Bangkok, Thailand from 19-20 March 2018. More than 51 international participants attended the regional workshop, representing the national and local governments, NGOs, urban waste management experts, research bodies, United Nations (UN) agencies, and international institutions.
Based on the experience of Integrated Resource Recovery Center (IRRC) implemented by ESCAP as well as discussions carried out during the workshop, it was agreed by all the participants that to enhance urban resource efficiency, the circular economy, and to achieve SDG goal and targets for the Paris Agreement, a number of interventions are required in the following 5 (five) areas:
- Effective Policy/Strategy/ Rules with special focus on 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycling), Informal Sector, Public Private Partnerships and capacity building on waste sector.
- Fiscal Incentives with the provision of soft and long term financing, Tax and VAT incentives to promote waste to resource recovery initiatives.
- Capacity Building and Awareness Raising
- Inter Ministerial Coordination between relevant ministries and local government bodies that are involved in implementation of circular economy. Policy harmonization and coordination are essential for promotion of resource efficiency.
- Programmatic Approach instead of project based approach needed for promotion of resource efficiency projects