Job Opportunity for the position of Finance Manager
Description of work:
Founded in 1995, Waste Concern is a research organization whose main objective is to contribute towards waste management, recycling, environmental improvement, promotion of renewable energy, circular economy and poverty reduction through job creation and sustainable development. To improve Bangladesh’s overall waste management sector, Waste Concern works closely in partnerships with the government, development agencies, private sector, non-government organizations, communities, and research bodies, in the following areas:
- Policy formulation: Helping the Government of Bangladesh formulate policies related to waste, sanitation, energy, and climate change mitigation
- Assistance in project implementation: Helping government, international development organizations, and private sector entrepreneurs develop projects on waste, sanitation, and energy, and embed waste recycling and reuse and recovery principles
- Research and development: R&D and pilot projects are key focus areas for the organization to scale-up appropriate waste management technologies for the country
- Advocacy and capacity building training: Providing hands-on capacity building training to mayors, government staff, municipality staff, and entrepreneurs to achieve the SDG goals related to waste management, resource recovery and circular economy.
Waste Concern supports the design, construction, and operation of integrated resource recovery centres (IRRCs) that can convert waste into fertilizer, biogas, refuse-derived fuel (RDF), electricity, and other recyclable products, and manage faecal sludge. The organization provides advisory services, training, and capacity building in setting up IRRC models in developing countries. It has assisted several cities in Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Nepal, Indonesia, India, and Viet Nam in replicating the IRRC models.
The Finance Manager leads the finance function, which focuses on supporting Waste Concern’s operations and project works. The Finance Manager ensures execution, monitoring, and control of all finance related activities of the organization. This in turn ensures that financial data and reporting are compliant with Waste Concern’s financial guidelines and procedures, donor requirements, international auditing, accounting, and reporting regulations. The Finance Manager also verifies Waste Concern’s compliance with applicable national laws and regulations including taxes.
Subsequent to approval of the executive committee and management, implements finance strategy and contributes to the development projects from a financial perspective. Identifies and analyzes financial opportunities and threats and informs the Executive Director.
Supervises and organizes the finance function and manages activities, and all aspects within the finance team, in accordance with the approved plan, budget and relevant procedures. These steps help realize the finance objectives of both Waste Concern and donors. Acts as the organization’s source of expertise on financial issues for management and project managers and steers towards timely and proper financial project administration. Manages intercompany projects to ensure a reconciliation of intercompany balances.
Financial Planning and Control:
Supports all budget holders in being compliant to internal and external procedures and regulations and Waste Concern and donor guidelines regarding the financial administration of projects. Leads the development, consolidation, forecasting and periodical review (including corporate compliance and audits) of the organization’s and project budgets and funds. Contributes to efficiency improvement and implements measures to minimize the risk of irregularities.
Financial Accounting and Administration:
Ensures all necessary financial accounting activities and checks are executed in an accurate, thorough, and timely manner (including tax and vat requirements and intercompany reconciliation) and verifies complete and correct allocation of costs and time. Ensures all transactions comply with the relevant financial standards and regulations.
Business planning and control:
Ensures the business is facilitated with a financial project planning process and financial control.
Regularly provides financial reports and analysis to provide insights of the overall organization’s and project’s financial status to both internal and external parties (e.g. donors) in order to safeguard financial performance, profitability, and to estimate financial risks and take measures. These are all aligned with Waste Concern’s and donors’ financial guidelines.
Develops, reviews, and refines budgets in proposals within the approved threshold aligned with, and compliant to, corporate guidelines and donor requirements. Assesses and advises whether funding opportunities (incl. due diligence and tax) are adhering to (government) guidelines and business development policies and procedures.
Guides, develops, coaches, and motivates internal and external finance staff to realize organization’s objectives. Acts as a source of expertise for (project) management. The above list of job responsibilities is not exclusive or exhaustive and the position will be required to undertake any assigned responsibilities assigned by his/her Supervisor as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position.
Proficiency level equivalent to Master degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field from a reputed university and proven experience (7 years) in finance management.
- Conceptual working and thinking level with several years of experience in finance and administration. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of donor regulations and compliance issues related to management of donor funds;
- Experience in accounting/management;
- Proven experience in risk management;
- Attention to detail and preciseness in the execution of tasks, solution-oriented working approach, and negotiation;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including the ability to articulate financial data to non-financial audience;
- Proficiency/Knowledge of Microsoft Office and skill in the use of Excel, including complex/compound spreadsheets and other accounting package is essential;
- Experience in accounting software is a clear advantage; Excellent command of the English language (both written and spoken).
Duty station : Dhaka
Contract Duration : This is a fixed term position for 2 years (renewed after one year).
Expected Joining Date : As soon as possible.
Working Hours : Full time (minimum of 40 hours per week)
Salary & Benefits : Attractive salary package shall be provided to the selected candidate. The total salary package is dependent upon the selected candidate’s work experience
Please send your detailed CV with reference to following email address: email@example.com
Please write ‘Application for Finance Manager” in the subject line of the email.
Last date for submission of application: October 31, 2020